The desire for a quality education prompted the implementation of the Quezon Education Survey in 1935 which studied the weakness and strong areas in the Philippine Education System. Among the perennial problem plaguing Philippine Education according to the survey was the luck of facilities. This problem was most acute when some public schools had to close as a result of the recession. Equally pressing was the need to re-orient the educational plans and policies. This was felt for the first time during the commonwealth period. Partly to remedy the situation, the curricula of the elementary and the secondary schools had to be revised. To solve the lack of accommodations in the public schools the number of years of elementary schooling was reduced from seven to six, although the so-called exclusive schools retained the seven-year period. The double session was also introduced, so that one teacher could handle two classes – one in the morning and the other in the afternoon.
Other educational developments were: 1.) revision of the elementary curricula to carry out the objectives of education as embodied in the constitution and 2.) emphasis on character education and citizenship training.
In 1942, the Japanese military administration included as part of the reorganizational plan the establishment of the Department of Education, Health and public Welfare, which was given the authority to reopen schools and restructure Philippine Education.
There were six basic principles of Japanese-sponsored Education:
public school s no longer take in.
The achievement of independence on July 4, 1946 did not alter right away the educational system of the country. The objectives of education were embodied in Section 5, Article XIV of the constitution. These objectives served the Bureau of Public Schools in the formulation of policies and in the implementation of the educational program.
During the reorganization of the national government on July 1, 1947 Executive Order No. 94 renamed the Bureau Department of Education and on October 1947 the Department’s Bureau of Public Instruction was changed to Bureau of Public Schools.
Before the war, the curriculum was based on the provisions of Commonwealth act 586, otherwise known as Education Act of 1940. Under this Act, the country saw these changes; Double-single session plan, the one-teacher-one-class plan, the Abolition of Grade VII.
In September 5, 1952, EDSES was given a new site, a 5,441 sq. meters lot located in Tramo, Pasay City. All the documents of the Pasay Central School were brought to the new site of EDSES thus continuing the noble goal and all the achievements of the first school of Pasay City. Initially a 12-room building was constructed in 1952.
In 1953 Republic Act No. 896, was passed authorizing the restoration of Grade VII, the return to the full-day session, the return to the two-classes-three-teachers or the three-classes-five teachers plan in Grade V and VI.
Marcos Pre-Fab building with 2 class-rooms was constructed in 1966 through the leadership of Mrs. Bernardino, the principal. In 1967, a Pre-Fab HE Building was constructed and in 1968 and 1969 another MarcosPre-FabBuilding and Pre-Fab Shop was constructed under the administration of Mrs. Candida Davis.
In 1972, massive educational reforms in all government sectors were undertaken. To enable the school system to contribute more effectively to the demands of our country’s national economic development, the work-oriented curriculum was prescribed in 1972 through curriculum enrichment theory and practice. Taxation education and green revolution were integrated in the curriculum.
This period also saw the implementation of various educational delivery systems like the In-School, Off-School Approach which aimed to ensure maximum use of the classroom, the teacher and community resources. The Distance Study System (DSS) provided a system for learning at a distance using a multi-media approach.
A Bagong Lipunan Building with 3 classrooms was constructed in EDSES in 1975. In 1980’s, old buildings were demolished and 4 buildings were constructed namely Marcos Type with 1 classroom, ESF Conventional Type with 10 classrooms, HE building and ESF Conventional Type with 8
classrooms in 1985, 1987, 1988 and 1989 respectively.
An ESFBuilding with 8 classrooms was built in 1995 during the term of Mr. Librado F. Torres, the school principal. Mr. Rolando Soriano and Mrs. Lilia Labaco were the principals from 1997 to 2002. In August of 2004, The ESF Building was burned creating a severe classroom shortage. Mrs. Milagros Ignacio ably lead the school in this most trying times and she was followed by Mrs. Jeansy Naniong. Miss Ma. Jessica S. Magayanes supervised the repair of the old building, as the old library she turned into 4 classrooms and then followed by the construction of a 3 storey 9-classroom building as a replacement for the burned building. These classrooms were occupied by the grades Six in the morning and grade five in the afternoon.
2008 July is the beginning of the construction of the 3-storey building for three classrooms connected to the previous construction which is supposedly for School Feeding and Home Economics under the supervision of Mrs. Evelyn D. Deliarte but due to lack of academic rooms it was used as classrooms, property room and temporarily administrative office, guidance, clinic and dental room in preparation for the construction of the new building as replacement for the oldest structure in the campus. .
The oldest building of EDSES is the administrative office where the District office and Principals’ office is found, the service bureaus such as the media room, computer room, guidance office, medical and dental clinic. of the school is located. This building was demolished in December 2010 up to January of 2011. The Four storey with eight rooms began its construction January 2011, partial of the sixteen rooms for EDSES as replacement for the demolished building.
As of this time of the year, the first eight rooms are fully constructed however the next portion is under structural beginning. It is hoped that it will be fully done in March , ready for the start of classes by June 2012. Due to other constraints unknown to the school administration, temporary stoppage of construction occurred in February 2012, until further notice is the que to its continuation. On the other hand a reconstruction of the lost a conference hall to replace the demolished Multi-Purpose Hall of the old building is renovating the third floor of the three-storey school building built in 2009.